Monday, September 15, 2008

What I Learned (Again) Today

Today was not my best day as a mother, but everyone has days like that. It's just not a good sign when you wake up and before three sentences have been muttered you can't wait for everyone to be out of the house, and maybe stay there until after dinner. Between the hours of 8:25 and 2:50, my day went pretty well. I got most of my "to-do" list done and even got to listen to a little Harry Potter while working. I was in a great mood both walking down to school and walking back home. Not a great sign, again, when not even three sentences had been muttered once home and I was wondering where everyone could go until bedtime. Couldn't even get a break during soccer as one son (shall remain nameless) had a not-so-positive progress report from school due to laziness and got to spend the hour in the car with me doing schoolwork instead of with his team playing soccer. I had issues with the laziness. He had issues with my having issues. We were lots of fun to be around. Things did calm down and we got a good start on things being ok by the end of practice. Not really in the mood for family dinner (making or eating) or Family Home Evening, but we persevered. Things finally turned around at bed time. I knew I was forgiven when said nameless son asked me to tuck him in and prayed that I'd have a good day tomorrow in his prayers. I even got a hug and a kiss.

I spent a lot of time today wondering why it is I ever wanted to be a full time mom. There must have been a really good reason. In many, many ways, it is the hardest job on the planet. We joke about it, but raising children is not for sissies. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to end the day wanting to get up and try again tomorrow. A little love and forgiveness go a long way, though. I'm pretty sure I'll get out of bed and hit the ground running tomorrow. The way things look right now, I'll even be happy to see everyone and enjoy the few moments we all have before my family scatters for the day. That's why I do what I do. The rewards, every day and for eternity, are so precious. The consequences of giving up too terrible to consider. In the end, it will be worth every minute.

5 comments:

trublubyu said...

oh, yes, one of those days. i hope this day is better!

Lisa W said...

I am all to familiar with those days. I am grateful everyday for forgiveness from my children. Their unconditional love for me and my attempts at being a better mother is amazing. I take great comfort in President Hinckley's counsel to do your best. I read an article that said that full time moms loose about one million dollars in potential income and benefits by choosing not to work. Immediately the words to the credit card TV commercial came to mind--
The cost of being a full time mom: one million dollars

The rewards for being there to experience every day with your children, all of the trials as well as the triumphs: PRICELESS.

Kathleen said...

Nothing beats a mom, even when Kaleb's not happy with me, I'll ask him (in front of dad) who do you want mom or dad? and he'll pick mom every time, even when he's mad. It's great being a mom (most of the time :-) ).

luvmymunchkins said...

That post was just what I needed to read. Thanks for having the courage to post it.
I think I'm on day 3 of bad mommy day. Time to turn it around. Maybe some kiddos will take naps and stay in beds tonight. I know that will definitely help. . .

Heidi said...

Just had a minute to catch up and read on your page. Mirrors a bit about what I wrote on my page just before! So glad I'm not alone. You have always been a great example to me of a good mom. You've known me before I had kids! This job is NOT for sissies! Thanks for writing it!