Friday, May 29, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do In The Summer Time?

Today is one of those double sided days. School is out. That means time with the kiddos, no more getting up and out the door every morning or stopping in the middle of my day to pick anyone up, the freedom to stay up a little later at night, no more homework, free time, field trips, and warm sunny weather. It also means time with the kiddos, no more getting up and out the door every morning or stopping in the middle of my day to pick anyone up, the freedom to stay up a little later, no more homework, free time, field trips, and warm sunny weather. No, you didn't read it funny and I didn't just repeat myself on accident. All of those things are GREAT! And, all of those things are not so great. Another interesting phenomenon is that those things are more GREAT in, say, June, than they are in, say, August. Summer vacation is definitely one of those things that should be had in moderation.

Normally, I'd have several things planned to do by now. This summer has kind of snuck up on me as I've been getting ready for camp and spending an huge proportion of the last month sitting in the doctors office for one reason or another. What's that scripture? "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." I think my lack of preparation is causing a bit more apprehension than normal. Of course, the abnormal has been more the norm for the last little while. We've moved the last two summers right as school got out. That's pretty much negated most of the "free time" and "field trip" portions of the summer. Though, I guess a cross country drive could be considered one huge field trip. Maybe I just feel out of "practice" for summer. Either way, so far this year I have temple times planned with the kids and I know we're going to the Museum of Art (MOA) next week. That's it. The MOA has an exhibit made entirely of things around the house. We actually saw one of them the last time we were there, not realizing it was part of a larger exhibit. It's a hanging sculpture made from dry cleaning hangars. I've heard there's a glass case filled with styrofoam peanuts blown around by a fan. Should be interesting. It's also close to home and guaranteed to be short- so I can get on with camp preparations. I can already hear the moaning, which is why none of the kids know we're going, yet. Summer isn't all fun and games! Camp is the following week. After that, who knows what's going to happen.

So, what do you do in the summer time? That Primary song is perfect right now. Should we "swim in a pool", "swing un a tree up high", "march in parades", "drink lemonade", "count all the stars in the sky"? "Is that what you do? So do I", maybe. Only 81 days left to figure it all out.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

While you are at the MoA, make sure to see the Walter Wick exhibit (if you haven't already). He is the guy who does the "I Spy" books and the exhibit is really interesting for children -- and parents -- of all ages. And don't worry, I haven't been inundated with unusual chaos and I still feel unprepared for what we're going to do this summer. Day 1 and we're already fighting and pouting. Not a good sign.

Heidi said...

Maybe this little gem will help. It's by a good ol' Lehi gal named
Lorraine J. Alldredge entitled

So, What Can Kids Do in the Summertime?

http://deseretbook.com/authors/author-info/19909

I intend to check it out. I would also check out your parks and rec schedule, the local library, the Bees schedule and Temple open houses. Break up the 81 days in chunks and breathe. Oh yeah, and don't forget the job chart:) Your house will be spotless with all that extra help:) I know, that are better at the messing it up part! good lucK! Brandon will scalp you some Stadium of Fire tickets if you want them. I'm sure Greg has connections tho:)

Joy For Your Journey said...

It sounds like you are off to a good start--but I doubt you will be able to relax and enjoy yourself too much until camp is over. Good luck with that. At least it is early in the summer. I have spent the last 8 summers doing a lot of seminary stuff. This year I hired my daughter to do a lot of it and have promised myself at least one day sitting by the pool sipping lemonade.:-)