Saturday, February 21, 2009

Applesuace Cake

We did make the applesauce cake and we did take it over to Wally. I woke up in the middle of the night terrified that it tasted smoky. Oh well. Too late, now.

Doreen asked about the recipe for applesauce cake. I got the recipe from my friend, Sarah R., who used to live in our ward in NH. We love it because it tastes great. It reminds me of fall. I love it because you mix and bake in the same pan, there-by reducing the number of dishes. Also, this cake has no eggs (Sarah had allergic children), if that's something you're trying to avoid. I've never made it cutting the amount of oil involved, so I don't know how that would go. It would need at least a little to have the right texture, I think. I must also say that the recipe calls for baking in an 8 x 8 inch pan. I tried doubling it once and baking in a 9 x 13 inch pan and it did not turn out very well. I don't know if it's the size or if I did something wrong, just be aware that it may not work out if you try that. It tastes great alone or with the cream cheese frosting recipe on the back of the powdered sugar bags. We've had it both ways.


Applesauce Cake

1 cup whole white wheat flour
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. (generous) cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. canola oil
1 tsp. vinegar (apple-cider or white)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flours, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt with a fork in an ungreased 8-in. x 8-in. square pan or Pyrex glass pie pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake 35-40 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before cutting.

2 comments:

Keith and Nicci said...

That sounds yummy. And I'm really really glad you were watched over and your house didn't burn down!

Mom O' Nine said...

Hope the toasty smell is getting somewhat better. Been thinking about you all.