Friday, November 14, 2008

Growing Up

Tomorrow is the big day. Erica will be driving permit eligible. Thankfully, the state of UT allows me to put my head in the sand for a few extra days. They switched to a 4-10 work schedule in August. So, no (or very few) state offices are open Friday - Sunday. That means I can put off until Monday what I'm both excitedly anticipating and nervously dreading today. All those years of little ones running around and feeling like they'd never grow up. I was warned that I'd turn around and suddenly the little ones would be gone. I couldn't believe it. No way would that happen. Guess what? It did. I used to dream of them being in highschool. Gone would be concerns of running into the street, or needing to be entertained, or having to worry about them at all any more. They'd be grown and I'd be well on my way to freedom (emotionally at least). I was partly right. I don't worry about them (generally) running out into the street, they're pretty good (most of the time) at entertaining themselves, it's that worry part that hasn't gone away. My grandma warned me about that, too. Once again, I had a hard time believing it. She told me that you worry even when they're married and have children of their own. What?! But, I'm beginning to understand. Think it's hard sending your baby to kindergarten for the first time? Try putting your somewhat controlling/perfectionist self in a car with one completely inexperienced driver and relaxing while she hits that pedal for the first time. Or worse, try the thought of handing said driver the keys to the car for the first time and relaxing until both (but especially the child) returns home in one piece. I do, at least, get to monitor the driving for the next 12 months. Haven't decided if that's for her practice or mine. I must say here that Erica is a great young lady and I really do trust her. I just have to learn to let go. Good thing it takes 16 years and a minimum of 6 months with a permit to be able to drive. It takes the parents that long to grow enough to handle it!

4 comments:

NatureGirl said...

"I do, at least, get to monitor the driving for the next 12 months. Haven't decided if that's for her practice or mine." LOL!! Good one Shan...As one who has already had to hand over the keys, I know where you are coming from, and...the practice time is definitely for the parents!

Doreen said...

I have plans to move everyone back to Germany in about 7 years. That'll buy me two more years, and someone else will have to do the driving school. You know, someone who has an extra set of clutch, gas pedal and break pedal on the passenger side and does that kind of thing professionally. :p

Kelly said...

Oh, Shannon! Good luck. That scares me silly. Not Erika on the road, but reaching this stage in my own family. It seems like you'll never be there, and then kabam, they're grown. eeeeek.

Unknown said...

Aaaaahhhhh, been there, done that. Twice. With boys. Can't believe we made it through, lives, health and cars intact (relatively speaking). Can't believe Erica is that old, but she is a good, responsible girl so it shouldn't be TOO bad. And your grandma is right: you don't stop worrying about them, but it does take a different, more manageable, form after they leave home. You are in my thoughts...