Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not Quite the Horrible Parent I Thought I Was

Joseph and I had a little visit with the orthopedic doctor today.  Turns out he most likely does NOT have a broken foot (parental redemption!) but a strain of some sort on either the tendons that attach to the 5th meta-tarsal or the growth plate at the end of the bone.  He even took an x-ray of his other foot to prove he has the same "break" in both feet.  He recommended a set of shoe inserts and gave Joseph some pointers on ways to change his gait when he runs.  Joseph tends to run on the front of his foot and toes more than he should and that puts strain on those insertion points.  He should see improvement soon.  If not, we go back in three weeks.

So glad it's not broken and the treatment only involved a trip to an orthopedic supply place this afternoon.  That is a much better option, in my opinion, than surgery or a brace for several weeks, or whatever else.  Joseph is still not completely convinced that the doctor isn't scamming us, but does agree that the inserts feel "squishy" and better on his feet.  They also make him a little taller.  That alone makes the day worthwhile.

5 comments:

Mom O' Nine said...

Very good news. :-)

Lisa said...

I have been wearing orthopedic inserts in my shoes since I was 17! Hooray for no broken bones!

NatureGirl said...

My mom still feels bad that she told me to put ice on my knee for like a month before we finally went to the doctor and found out I had torn the cartilage. Good news is I got to do PT for 6 weeks with a few of the 49ers...

theBYUtool said...

I am glad it isn't broken. Still, it sounds like it will be awhile before it heals. Best of luck!

trublubyu said...

oh, this is even awesome-er. and more amazing.