Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mohawk Walk

Trublu's question is what was the best team building activity. That's a tough question in a way. I think that, by nature, team building activities build on each other. So, it kind of makes sense that I think our best one was the last one. We'd had two days of doing things together and it all came together in the last one, called the Mohawk Walk.


The object of this one was to get everyone on your team completely along the rope without falling off. The rope itself was only about 6 inches off the ground, but was long enough to be a real challenge. You can almost see the whole thing in the picture. The beginning was along the left-hand side and the end was just past the boy in blue in the back of the picture. It took us awhile to figure out that you can't just scoot along on your own, or even just work in pairs. It took the entire team to get everyone across. We helped get team members out to each point to serve as anchors and then they helped everyone around. It took us a good 30 minutes for a team of 11.

As I said, though, this was the last in a line of several games we either spent time playing together or were specifically designed to increase our trust in each other. Our ward was even divided into two groups for most of the ropes course on the second day. And, while we did some of the same activities, we didn't do all of the same activities. I think the lessons learned and talked about carried over to the group as a whole, though.

2 comments:

trublubyu said...

thank you so much shannon! you are so kind to indulge my questions.

this looks like a real possibility and something that we could use and springboard on. you've got my wheels turning.

Joy For Your Journey said...

Wow. I don't know where I have been that I missed all of these posts until today. What fun!! I am glad you had a good time at the youth conference and that you have enjoyed your calling working with the young women. I think it is great you could have a youth conference just with your ward that the kids would enjoy so much. You must have a big youth program.